The Way of the Cross Leads to Heaven

The Way of the Cross Leads to Heaven
JOHN 14:6 JESUS CHRIST said: I AM THE WAY

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

HONGKONG MINISTRY REPORT - PART II

2009 HONGKONG MINISTRY REPORT – PART II

The week before my travel to Hongkong, I received an email from Rev. Josiah Gagarin. He is the Pulpit Minister of the Wesleyan Fellowship in Hongkong and Supervisor of World Hope International Temporary Shelter For People. He gave me the preaching schedule he had arranged as follows:

March 14th at the HK Wesleyan Fellowship Saturday group at 1;30 PM;
March 15th at the HKWF Sunday Worship at 10:00 AM;
March 21st again with the HKWF Saturday group 1:30 PM; and
March 22nd again with the HKWF Sunday Worship 10:00 AM.

My second daughter Delight Aissa brought me to the airport. We left the house at about 5:30 AM arriving at the NAIA III about 6:15 AM. Cebu Pacific Air flight # 5J 110 scheduled to depart from the NAIA III at 8:00 AM was on time. Along the way, I prayed with Aissa for the day to be a fruitful and blessed day for us both and our family.

At check-in, I requested for a wheelchair as I have always done in my travels making mention of the fact that I have an ICD heart pacemaker. I was picked up by a young man in his twenties. As I was being wheeled all the way to the terminal, I began to witness to this young man about his need to be born again. Impressed upon him the truth that it is only the person who has experienced the “new birth” that has the assurance of heaven; God’s guidance, protection, & provision during this lifetime. Encouraged him to get a copy of God’s Word, the Bible and find a church or fellowship that teaches the need for man to be born again (John 3:1-7). Gave this man a generous tip for I believe in the principle of sowing & reaping, giving & receiving as taught in scriptures.

The flight was uneventful. Praise God for His traveling mercies (Psalm 121). In fact, we arrived in Hongkong ahead of schedule. I was the last to disembark from the plane. I was picked up in a wheelchair by a mid-twenties Chinese girl. Wanted to witness to her about the LORD but she spoke very little English. Handed her a generous tip and she responded with a big smile.

Two days before my flight, I texted Dell my wife what bus to take from the airport in HK to Tshim Tsa Tsui. She texted me back saying to take bus A#21 and that the fare was HK$33.00. My eldest daughter Mynes said she would check if she has some HK$. She did have and that it amounted to HK$33.80. Praise the LORD for His provision even for a bus fare.

I walked to the bus stop and took bus A#21. I requested the driver to kindly let me know when we reach Tshim Tsa Tsui Imperial Hotel. This is where my wife was to meet me. The bus driver was very gracious and helpful, he pointed to where Imperial Hotel was.

At the Imperial, I waited for Dell at the lobby. In about 5 minutes, she came. We proceeded to where she was billeted which was in Mirador along Nathan Road, East Tshim Tsa Tsui. At the ground floor leading to the elevator, we met Rev. Nes Baricante.

Dell introduced me to him and I handed him my card. After leaving my baggage in our room, Dell brought me to Café Coral for lunch. We then proceeded back to our room to get some rest. She had a business meeting later in the afternoon. Meanwhile, after my nap, I decided to visit the church of Pastor Baricante which is in the 10th floor of the Mirador bldg. He is the pastor of Grace Fellowship, an Assemblies of God (AG) church in Hongkong. His church is comprised of Filipina OFWs working in HK.

Being a friday, few women were in the church this particular afternoon. I came in and there were 6 women all ready to study God’s Words. Pastor Nes arrived thereafter.
We talked and got to know each other. Praise God for there is a bond that joins christians together, that is the love of the LORD Jesus Christ shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost (Romans 5:5). I learned much about Pastor Nes before the afternoon was over as he did about me because we were both willing to be transparent.

We ended up having an informal bible study with the 6 for the rest of the afternoon lasting past 6:00 in the evening. The ladies were very appreciative of the lessons we tackled. Prominent of which is the subject based on 2 Corinthians 6:14-18, the christian’s relationship with those outside of the christian faith.

I left the group blessed in my heart to have ministered God’s Words to those 6 women whose hearts and minds were inclined towards the things of eternal value. Returned to our room, my wife already waiting for me. We had dinner and had time to talk. We are both very thankful to the LORD for the time & opportunity He has given us, together for the next 12 days in Hongkong. We then prayed as we have done many times in the past before we went to sleep.

Next morning, Saturday, Dell & I had breakfast at the Café Coral. Met a Filipino family having breakfast too and the LORD brought them to be sitting beside our table. The young father whose name is Arnel sat with us in our table. His wife Guia & 2 kids were in the other table. Learned that they come from Davao City. He works for Stanfilco, a banana plantation. He and his family were in HK vacationing for a week.

I deliberately & intentionally started to converse with Arnel. My heart was set in sharing with him the Gospel. I was constrained by the love of the LORD to obey the injunction to witness to this man about his need for salvation. He seems to be very receptive. Made mention to him of the Imperative of the New Birth as taught by the LORD in John 3:1-7. Confronted him with the truth that there can only be one way to God and that is through Jesus Christ alone; That for a person to see & enter heaven, that person must be born again.

We parted ways knowing in my heart that I have done what my LORD commanded me to do and that is “to witness” to Arnel about who Jesus Christ is and what He is able to do to the one who will believe on Him.

Dell had a meeting set at 2:30 PM. We had lunch together. I then proceeded to the Metro Train to go to the other side of Hongkong. This was my first time to ride the HK MRT. Took the train for Central and exited at the Worldwide Plaza. This is the place were thousands of Filipina OFWs’ here in HK converged during their off days or holidays. My heart goes out to these women who have labored, sacrificed much for their families, and suffered for years because most of them does not know the LORD Jesus Christ as their personal Saviour & LORD.

Coming out of the plaza, crossed over to the other side of the street. Rode the Tram (fare HK$2.00) to Des Vouex Road West. As I got out of the tram, I saw Pastor Gagarin waiting for me. We then proceeded to the church located at the 4th floor of the Wing Hing Commercial Bldg.

The Saturday group was just starting their weekly study of the Bible. At 2:30 PM, the worship began. A number of the women gave their testimonies. After the praise & worship, it was time for me to preach. I felt impressed by the Holy Spirit even before I came, to preach about Evangelism. This was confirmed by the mission statement of the HKWF: that the church was to corporately fulfill the mandate to evangelize specifically the Filipino OFWs in Hongkong.

Many of those in attendance heard me the first time when I spoke during their church anniversary last September 30, 2007. One of the ladies testified that the day I spoke, the message which was about “Faith”, touched and blessed her heart so much that she decided to be faithful in her walk with the LORD ever since. Praise God and to Him alone be the glory! (Isaiah 42:8).

Spoke for the next 1 & ½ hours with passion from my heart. The title of the message was: “Evangelism, A Lifestyle for the Obedient Christian”. The words just flowed out of my mouth. Truly, the saying: from out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks, is true. The truth of John 7:38 was very evident. I was enabled by the Holy Spirit to expound the truths on the need to evangelize and fulfill the Great Commission (Matthew 28:18-20). At the end of the message, prayed for the whole group & gave them an assignment to study John 3:1-7, on the Imperative of the new Birth. This was to be the subject of my preaching next Saturday March 21st.

After the service, Pastora Lydia with the ladies of the church, served a sumptuous meal. We had dinner together and fellowshipped with one another. An informal bible study ensued for the rest of the afternoon, what with so many questions being asked that needed to be answered from God’s Words.

From church, we proceeded to the World Hope Int’l Shelter, about two blocks away.
The LORD allowed me to minister to two women His Words. One was to fly to Canada the coming weekend. We had time to pray for and with one another. I then left at about 7 PM. Took the tram to Worldwide, then the MTR to Tshim Tsa Tsui and back to Mirador.

Shared with my wife the happenings that day especially at the Saturday group. Told her that they wanted to see her next Saturday. Asked her to make sure she did not have any business meeting by then. After prayer, we retired for the night anticipating a long day of ministry the next day.

TO BE CONTINUED …………

No comments: